It’s true. Really, really true: raw milk is not dangerous. It will not kill you.
But raw milk has gotten a bad rap.
In reality, you are 35,000 times more likely to get sick from other food sources than raw milk!
And of all the 48 million illnesses around the world, ONLY 42 of them are attributed to raw milk. (Raw Milk Information)
So, if you haven’t been convinced…yet…to drink raw milk…I’ll give you even more information to really make you convinced. 🙂
You can find a lot of articles here on A Life of Heritage that will teach you about goat care and be sure to check out The Goat Health, and Information Bundle–it’s full of to-do lists, checklists, record keeping sheets, and resource pages that will get your new (or old) goat herd off to a terrific start!
Goat Essential ↓
Goat Management Binder
You are organized. You are knowledgeable. You are proactive. This is how. Click below to get this binder in your hands to avoid common errors that affect your goat's health. These records are your freedom and your goat's optimal health.
The Benefits of Raw Milk–The Nutritional Makeup:
- Raw milk is one of the most nutrient-dense foods available
- What does this mean? Nutrient-dense foods are foods that have a lot of nutrients but relatively few calories.
- Fat-soluble vitamins: A, D, K2
- Supports brain and nervous system
- Development, focus and brain development, bone density
- Helps to balance hormones
- Minerals and Electrolytes: Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium
- Omega 3’s, CLA, and Short Chain Fatty Acids
- Helps control issues related to inflammation, slow metabolism, and stress resistance
- Connected to cancer prevention, fat loss, and healthier cholesterol levels
- Probiotic from whey, kefir, and yogurt
- Cultured dairy foods give the highest amounts of probiotic than any other food available
- Whey protein
- Burns fat, and retains lean muscle
What does this excellent nutritional makeup do for your body?
- Reduces allergies How?
- Creates a naturally immunizing effect in the body against sickness and infection
- Nutrients and enzymes aid in immune system health and digestion
- Boosts dental health
- Supports skeletal growth
- Skin health improvement How?
- Many report improvements with eczema, psoriasis, and acne
- The omega-3’s and saturated fats hydrate the skin
- The probiotic kills off the bad bacteria in the gut which leads to improvements in skin quality
- Helps prevent nutritional deficiencies How?
- The minerals mentioned above are so very important for cellular function, hydration, building bone density, blood circulation, detoxification, muscle health, and metabolism. BUT most Americans are lacking in these minerals considerably considering diets high in sugar, added fats, and sodium.
- Extreme gut health through probiotic How?
- Raw milk products like kefir, yogurt, and cheese give your gut what it needs to fight against Invaders like e-Coli, and parasites and gives your gut the microorganisms needed to absorb nutrients.
- Some disorders probiotic-rich foods are known to help:
- Colon cancer
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Intestinal infections
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Skin infections
- Weakened immune system
- Urinary tract infections
- Vaginal yeast infections
- No added sugar or synthetic ingredients are brought into your body. How?
- Homogenized and pasteurized milk have added thickeners and shelf stabilizers and the process itself causes the fat in the milk to become oxidized and rancid. But there is no added sugar in raw milk like many dairy products contain to boost their taste.
What makes it un-raw? Pasteurization.
What is pasteurization and what does it do to the milk you drink?
Pasteurization is explained this way by the FDA: Pasteurization is a process that kills harmful bacteria by heating milk to a specific temperature for a set period of time. First developed by Louis Pasteur in 1864, pasteurization kills harmful organisms responsible for such diseases as listeriosis, typhoid fever, tuberculosis, diphtheria, and brucellosis.
We all want to keep our families safe as we eat and drink, right? So, the idea behind pasteurization is good. Really good. Except what does it do to our milk?
- Key nutrients and enzymes are reduced or completely damaged and therefore the body cannot use them because they are very hard to digest.
- Vitamin B and C are decreased not only through the pasteurization process but also by sitting on the supermarket shelves for periods of time.
- Destroys the enzymes needed to break down and utilize key nutrients thereby causing many people to be lactose intolerant. Many people’s symptoms of intolerance are gone when they switch to raw milk.
That’s a whole lot of information to absorb in one sitting. But remember your body absorbs a lot more when drinking raw milk 😉
If you and your family are milk drinkers, it really is worth looking into. And not only should you look into raw milk, consider goat milk. For many reasons, it is considered even more highly nutritional than cow’s milk. There are many Astounding Benefits of Goat Milk!
Read more about why the milk you drink should be raw, Raw Milk Reality, Raw Milk and Cheese Rise in Popularity
FREE resource page…curious…?
If you would like a sneak peek into our resource page:
Free Resource Page for Horse Owners
Free Resource Page for Homesteaders
Free Resource Page for God Seeker
DON’T MISS OUT: FREE RESOURCE PAGE
It’s worth looking into! It has a great selection of tips and checklists that have helped me on my homesteading journey. This page is password protected and is updated weekly! How much better can it get?? 😉
I also would love to know what would help you. What can we add to our resource page to make your life that much easier? Email me your ideas: [email protected]
Wednesday 23rd of January 2019
I guess I should try raw milk. I grew up in the city and all the milk available to me is processed milk. I hope I can find a store that sells it.
Thursday 24th of January 2019
I hope you are able to find some! It is so good!
Sunday 6th of January 2019
I miss having fresh raw milk every morning before when we stayed in our grandparents house.
Wednesday 9th of January 2019
Oh, isn't it the best?? How nice if you could find some near you to enjoy again :)
Mayumi Liwayway Espina
Tuesday 25th of December 2018
Great article! I have always feared for salmonella and E. coli from raw milk. Then again, I also am quite concerned on how milk is being processed.
Wednesday 26th of December 2018
I agree with you. I think the processing is the most harmful part about pasteurized milk. Truly, more people get sick from E. Coli from lettuce than milk, by far. I've seen the benefits of raw milk personally, and I have full confidence in it :)
Tuesday 18th of December 2018
Very informative article. I never thought raw milk is much safer than many other food sources. My question is: what protects us from the harmful bacteria if it is consumed raw?
Thursday 20th of December 2018
Hey Sharon :) Thanks for reading! Raw milk won't have harmful bacteria in it unless it is taken care of improperly or the goat is unhealthy. But a healthy animal will produce a healthy product and then as a milker, it is my responsibility to make sure the goat is clean when I milk, use a strip cup, and get the milk strained and cold as quickly as possible. Thanks for the great question!
Friday 16th of November 2018
I'd rather choose to drink raw milk than drinking manufactured milk.
Sunday 18th of November 2018
I agree :) But you hit on an important point: it's your choice! And that choice should never be taken away from anyone, no matter what they decide. Each of us should have our own choice what we eat and drink and that should never be taken away from anyone! :)